Like blogging it’s a way of broadcasting online but it’s most commonly referring to social media sites as microblogging rather than the traditional hosted website blog. The reason for micro in the name is that characters in posts are usually limited.
What is a microblogging site?
Micro-blogs give users the ability to post short form content usually under 100 characters but can include videos and images. Some people refer to them as micro posts or tweets if you are a Twitter user.
Examples of Microblogging Sites
- Blogger microblogging – Blogger can be classed as a microblogging platform outside of the social media platform category and can be used purely as a microblog.
- WordPress microblogging – WordPress is also a microblogging platform which is not a social media network. You can download themes and plugins to make it identical to Twitter or Tumblr.
- Plurk microblogging – Plurk is in the social networking category but is free and a microblogging service which has a limitation of 360 characters.
- Medium microblogging – Developed by Evan Williams, Medium is an online microblogging platform for journalism. Medium includes exclusive blogs and writers from professional to amateur.
- Ghost (blogging platform) microblogging – is a modern microblogging platform that gives you full ownership of what you do with your blog.
What is the difference between blogging and microblogging?
Microblogging requires less time developing content than a traditional blog. Traditional blogging requires creating a post with at least 1,000 words where microblogging only require a sentence or two. From that perspective it is much easier to create content for microblogging.
Another difference is Microblogging platforms are usually social media platforms so are already optimized for mobile devices and have mobile apps which include direct notifications to a user’s device. A ping directly to someone’s hand.
The shorter the better with microblogging as we must keep the word count as low as possible, short impactful sentences that purvey the message you want to give.
Keep your post relevant to what you know and do using hashtags to specify the category or tag your post.
Usually, you want to use them for keywords that people would use within the platform. Make sure you post daily to your microblog.
Importance of Microblogging
Microblogging is particularly important in today’s world of distance and isolation as they are a means of communication to the world around us.
Drawbacks of Microblogging
After doing this research I have also found a few drawbacks of microblogging.
A few disadvantages of microblogging are those characters being limited can prevent you from finishing what it is you want to say.
Sometime there is just too much information to put in such a short text area.
Thanks for reading my article on microblogging.
So, I complied this article to help the people like me who needed this information.