How to Use Email Marketing to Grow Your Blog Traffic: 3 Proven Strategies
Email marketing is one of the best ways to promote your blog posts and attract more readers. It allows you to communicate with your subscribers, share useful content, and drive traffic back to your website. But how do you create an email marketing strategy that works for your blog? In this guide, I’ll show you how to use email marketing to promote your blog posts and achieve your blogging goals.
What is email marketing and why is it important for bloggers?
Email marketing is the process of sending emails to a list of people who have agreed to receive them. You can use email marketing to achieve various objectives, such as:
- Building trust and rapport with your audience
- Educating your subscribers about your niche and your expertise
- Providing value and solving their problems
- Entertaining and engaging them with your personality and stories
- Promoting your blog posts and other content
- Driving traffic to your website and increasing your page views
- Generating leads and sales for your products or services
Email marketing is important for bloggers because it gives you a direct and personal way to connect with your readers. Unlike social media or search engines, you don’t have to depend on algorithms or compete with other sources of information. You own your email list and you can control when and what you send to them.
Email marketing also helps you build a loyal and engaged fan base that will support your blog and your business. According to a study by OptinMonster, email subscribers are 3.9 times more likely to share your content on social media than visitors from other sources. They are also more likely to comment on your blog posts, give you feedback, and buy from you.
The Bottom Line: Email marketing is a powerful tool for bloggers to promote their blog posts, grow their audience, and monetize their blog.
How to use email marketing to promote your blog posts: examples and tips
There are many ways to use email marketing to promote your blog posts, depending on your goals, your niche, and your audience. Here are some examples of successful email marketing campaigns that promote blog posts, along with some tips on how to create them.
1. Send a newsletter with a link to your latest blog post
One of the easiest ways to use email marketing to promote your blog posts is to send a newsletter with a link to your latest blog post. This way, you can keep your subscribers updated on what’s new on your blog, drive traffic to your website, and improve your SEO ranking.
To create a newsletter that promotes your blog post, you need to:
- Write an attention-grabbing subject line that encourages your subscribers to open your email
- Use a friendly and conversational tone that reflects your brand voice
- Write a catchy introduction that hooks your readers and summarizes what they will learn from your blog post
- Include a clear and compelling call-to-action that invites them to click on the link to read the full post
- Add an image or a video that relates to your blog post and enhances its appeal
- Segment your list based on their interests, preferences, or behavior, and send them relevant content that matches their needs
For example, here’s an email newsletter from Copyblogger that promotes their latest blog post about how to write better headlines:
As you can see, the email has a catchy subject line (“How I Write 8 Blog Posts a Week While Running 2 Companies”), a friendly introduction that introduces the topic and the author, a clear call-to-action (“Read More”), and an eye-catching image that shows the author’s face.
2. Create an automated email sequence that delivers a series of blog posts
Another way to use email marketing to promote your blog posts is to create an automated email sequence that delivers a series of blog posts related to a specific topic or goal. This way, you can provide value and education to your subscribers, establish yourself as an authority in your niche, and nurture them towards a desired action.
To create an automated email sequence that promotes your blog posts, you need to:
- Choose a topic or a goal that is relevant and valuable for your audience
- Select a number of blog posts that cover different aspects or steps of that topic or goal
- Write an engaging email for each blog post that introduces the topic, explains why it’s important, and links to the full post
- Set up an automation tool that sends the emails at regular intervals (e.g., daily, weekly, monthly)
- Add a welcome email at the beginning of the sequence that welcomes them to your list, introduces the topic or goal, and sets their expectations for the upcoming emails
- Add a final email at the end of the sequence that summarizes the key takeaways, provides additional resources, and asks them to take action (e.g., buy your product, sign up for your course, book a consultation, etc.)
For example, here’s an automated email sequence from Sendinblue that delivers a series of blog posts about email marketing for bloggers:
As you can see, the email sequence has a welcome email that introduces the topic and the sender, four emails that link to different blog posts about email marketing, and a final email that offers a free trial of their email marketing software.
3. Offer a lead magnet that complements your blog post
A lead magnet is a freebie that you offer to your website visitors in exchange for their email address. It can be anything that provides value and solves a problem for your audience, such as an ebook, a checklist, a cheat sheet, a template, a webinar, etc.
A lead magnet can help you grow your email list and promote your blog posts at the same time. How? By offering a lead magnet that complements your blog post and adds more value to it. This way, you can attract more visitors to your blog post, entice them to sign up for your list, and deliver more content to them via email.
To create a lead magnet that promotes your blog post, you need to:
- Identify a problem or a challenge that your audience faces and that your blog post addresses
- Create a lead magnet that provides a solution or a shortcut to that problem or challenge
- Write a landing page or a pop-up that explains the benefits of your lead magnet and invites visitors to sign up for it
- Set up an opt-in form that collects their name and email address
- Set up an email delivery system that sends them the lead magnet after they sign up
- Follow up with them via email and direct them to your blog post or other relevant content
For example, here’s a lead magnet from Copyblogger that complements their blog post about how to write better headlines:
As you can see, the lead magnet is a free report that offers 52 headline hacks to improve your writing skills. The landing page explains how the report can help visitors write better headlines and invites them to sign up for it. After they sign up, they receive an email with the report and a link to the blog post.
How to choose an email marketing service for your blog
Now that you know how to use email marketing to promote your blog posts, you might be wondering how to choose an email marketing service for your blog. An email marketing service is a software that helps you create, send, and manage your email campaigns. It also provides features such as templates, analytics, segmentation, automation, etc.
There are many email marketing services available in the market, but not all of them are suitable for bloggers. Here are some factors to consider when choosing an email marketing service for your blog:
- Pricing: You want an email marketing service that fits your budget and offers value for money. Some services charge based on the number of subscribers, some based on the number of emails sent, and some based on the features you use. You also want to look for free trials or discounts that can help you save money.
- Ease of use: You want an email marketing service that is easy to use and doesn’t require technical skills or coding. You also want to look for user-friendly interfaces, drag-and-drop editors, pre-designed templates, etc.
- Integration: You want an email marketing service that integrates with your blogging platform and other tools you use, such as WordPress, Wix, Shopify, Google Analytics, etc. This way, you can sync your data and automate your workflows.
- Support: You want an email marketing service that offers reliable and responsive customer support. You also want to look for online resources such as tutorials, guides, blogs, webinars, etc.
One of the best email marketing services for bloggers is Sendinblue. Sendinblue is an all-in-one marketing platform that offers email marketing, SMS marketing, chatbot marketing, CRM, landing pages, Facebook ads, and more. It has affordable pricing plans based on the number of emails sent per month (not subscribers), starting from free (up to 300 emails per day) to premium (up to 1 million emails per month). It also has an easy
to use interface, drag-and-drop editor, responsive templates, and advanced features such as segmentation, personalization, automation, analytics, etc. It also integrates with popular platforms such as WordPress, Wix, Shopify, Google Analytics, etc. It also offers reliable and responsive customer support and online resources such as tutorials, guides, blogs, webinars, etc.
The Bottom Line: Sendinblue is an excellent email marketing service for bloggers that offers everything you need to create, send, and manage your email campaigns.
Conclusion: Email marketing is a must for bloggers
Email marketing is a must for bloggers who want to promote their blog posts, grow their audience, and monetize their blog. By using email marketing, you can:
- Build trust and rapport with your audience
- Educate your subscribers about your niche and your expertise
- Provide value and solve their problems
- Entertain and engage them with your personality and stories
- Promote your blog posts and other content
- Drive traffic to your website and increase your page views
- Generate leads and sales for your products or services
To use email marketing to promote your blog posts, you can:
- Send a newsletter with a link to your latest blog post
- Create an automated email sequence that delivers a series of blog posts
- Offer a lead magnet that complements your blog post
To choose an email marketing service for your blog, you can:
- Consider factors such as pricing, ease of use, integration, and support
- Try out Sendinblue as an all-in-one marketing platform that offers email marketing, SMS marketing, chatbot marketing, CRM, landing pages, Facebook ads, and more.
I hope this guide has helped you understand how to use email marketing to promote your blog posts. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below. And if you’re ready to start using email marketing for your blog, sign up for Sendinblue today and get started for free!